Saturday, August 30, 2008

What Was That?

It’s amazing the things you hear, around your neighborhood. Have you ever really stopped to listen to the sounds of your neighborhood?

Well, as I started writing this, post I realized what I was hearing. Now, you have to consider, that it’s mid-morning on a Friday. The weather’s cold and rainy, yet this sound happens at least twice a week. What is it? It’s loud booming noise, tells me it’s big. The engine is so loud, it could jar you right out of bed, if your lucky enough to still be in bed at this time. It’s the trash truck coming down the street.

Now, all sorts of things go through your mind. “Oh heck, did I put the trash out”? “Maybe, it’s not full enough anyway”. “Oh, well it’s too late now”. “I’m not running out in my sock feet, in the rain, to take it to the curb”. “I’ll just have to take it next week”.

Yes, there’s plenty of procrastination, when it comes to taking out the trash. It’s just not a job we like to do. It’s one of those we put off as long as possible, that has to be done.

Still that sound can stir you, in a hurry. Especially, if you’ve put off taking out the trash the last two times. You can hear it, coming down the street and you know just about how far it’s gotten, by how close the sound is. So, your thinking, I should be able to get out there before it turns around to come up my side of the street. So, you run like heck, tripping over the cat and making him scream bloody murder. Out the door you go, with no shoes, half dressed and your hair standing straight up.

That sound has a dire affect on the human brain & body. It really gets us going and pushes the blood pressure higher, with each running step. By the time you get the trash to the curb, your red in the face and heaving for breath. But you make it, all because of that sound.

No comments: